Lisa came to WAAS in 2013 from Pottsville, Pennsylvania, where she grew up and taught middle school science for six years. Recently, her class was featured in national news as she dropped student egg projects from a helicopter for a Physics experiment. She was also awarded Outstanding Middle School Coach of the Year in North Carolina for Science Olympiad in 2015 and has led our Science Olympiad team to a 2nd place in the state in 2019, advancing to the National tournament for the first time in WAAS history. She was recognized as the Air Force Association Cape Fear Chapter Teacher of the Year and the Air Force Association North Carolina State Teacher of the Year in Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics (STEM) in 2016.
She and her husband, Rob enjoy “island life” and taking on new adventures. They love to travel, surf, kayak, rock climb and hike together. They travel to PA often to visit both families – one in Pottsville, PA and one in Erie, PA. They have four nephews, Thomas (6), Nolan (2) and Henry (6 months) and a niece, Addison (4) and they take their aunt and uncle status very seriously!
Lisa grew up dancing, choreographing and competing professionally and partipated in the performing dance company in college. She held roles such as Clara in The Nutcracker and Sandy in Grease. She later taught dance for several years before pursing her Master’s degree. She hopes to pursue her doctoral degree someday.
- Supervisory Certificate in Curriculum & Instruction K-12: Kutztown University of Pennsylvania – 2011
- Master’s Degree in Curriculum & Instruction: Kutztown University of Pennsylvania – 2010
- Bachelor’s of Science in Education: Kutztown University of Pennsylvania – 2006
- Middle Level Science 6-9
- Biology 9-12
- General Science 9-12
- Earth & Space Science 9-12
- Curriculum Instructional Specialist K-12
- Academically or Intellectually Gifted Licensure
- School Administration
- 2013-Present: Wilmington Academy of Arts & Sciences: Wilmington, North Carolina
- 2007-2013: Science 8 – D.H.H. Lengel Middle School: Pottsville, Pennsylvania
- 2006-2007: Agricultural Science – Pine Grove Area High School: Pine Grove, Pennsylvania
- Outstanding Middle School Coach of the Year in North Carolina – Science Olympiad – 2015
- Air Force Association Cape Fear Chapter Teacher of the Year in Science, Technology, Engineering
& Mathematics (STEM) – 2016
- Air Force Association North Carolina State Teacher of the Year in Science, Technology, Engineering
& Mathematics (STEM) – 2016
- Finalist in the Education category for Wilma Magazine’s Women to Watch Awards in 2017
Mrs. Giacomelli’s Amazon Wish List:
Hello WAAS Students! Tomorrow, a group of your classmates will lead us in the study of their Indian Culture by celebrating Diwali (pronounced Di Vali), a Hindu festival of lights held in the period of October to November. We had originally planned to have this last...
Upcoming WAAS Events