Our Director – Mrs. Beth Upton
Since a small child, Mrs. Upton has always wanted to be a teacher. She loved being in a leadership position where she could inspire and motivate students to learn. After 32 years of working in New Hanover County Schools and 8 years of serving as Director of Wilmington Academy of Arts and Sciences, Mrs. Upton still considers herself a teacher at heart. Mrs. Upton considers WAAS a dream school for both teachers and students since it is a place where success breeds success. At WAAS, teachers’ lessons are creative, innovative and engaging, and the small class sizes allow them to get to know every student and meet their academic needs. She considers it a privilege to be Director of WAAS, and she doesn’t even consider her role as work.
On a more personal note, Mrs. Upton and her husband Jack have been married for 34 years and are the proud parents of Jannell and Hayley. Jannell and her husband Brian (both NCSU graduates) live in Charlotte, NC with their 31/2 year old son, Daniel, and 19 month old daughter, Savannah. Hayley graduated from ASU in 2014 and, after working at Ocean Reef Resort in Key Largo, Florida for four years, she relocated to Wilmington last February to serve as the Coastal Events/Sales Manager for LM Restuarants (Oceanic, Bluewater, Henry’s, Hops).
If you really want to make her eyes light up, just ask Mrs. Upton about her grandchildren and her rescue dog Desi. She will be quick to tell you how precious they are and even show you several pictures. Many summer days and evenings are spent with friends and family at Hanover Seaside Club at Wrightsville Beach.
Mrs. Upton has been a member of First Baptist Church, Wilmington for over 34 years where she has served in various leadership roles. She has also been a wedding director for FBC for 32 years.
WAAS used to be the best kept secret, but, due to the students’ successes, the school is not so much a secret any more. Mrs. Upton welcomes the opportunity to give parents and students a tour. You will see, firsthand, why she loves being a part of WAAS and why all of those wonderful things said about our school are true!
- 1978 Graduate of UNCW
- Cerifications in Language Arts, Social Studies, Mentoring
- Retired from New Hanover Public Schools July 1, 2010 with 32 years of teaching
- Instructional leadership, mentoring and academic coaching experience
- Instructional Leadership Program New Hanover County Schools 2003-2004
- 2008 Autumn Hall Middle School Excellence in Teaching Award Vision, Creativity and Dedication to Teaching
- New Hanover County Teacher of the Year 2002-2003
- Holly Tree Teacher of the Year 2002
- 1998 Receipent of UNCW Alumni Achievement Award Watson School of Education
- Teacher of the Week 103GNI February 8, 1999
Upcoming WAAS Events